introduction to language learning 2

 Dear Erik,

Last time I share some tips I use for learning English, and today I will talk about how reading plays an important role in my English learning journey. I think reading is a very important part for language learners (reading here does not refer to reading the materials given in schools such as textbooks or paper; reading here refers to the reading we do spontaneously). We choose the reading materials that we are interested in; it can be fiction, novels, researches of a certain field, etc. and we cultivate the habit of reading. To me, reading is not just a habit that can help me kill time or learn some new things; it can also help increase my vocabulary and improve my writing. When I am reading, I won’t look up every new word I encounter. Instead, I will try to guess its meaning from the context. If that word does not keep me from understanding the meaning of the whole content, I won’t look it up. How then can I learn vocabulary if I don’t look it up? Well, that is the question I asked when my mother first told me this reading method, and I am convinced I have learned the answer. I think when we are reading a work, each writer has his or her unique way of writing and there are some words that a writer tends to use, and these words will appear in the passage quite often. Maybe when the first time I see that word, I am not very certain about its meaning, but after it appears again and again, I am able to grasp the meaning of that word, and by reading I know how to use that word in a sentence. Therefore, I don’t think it is necessary to look up every new word and interrupt the flow of reading. Another benefit of reading is that it can help us write beautifully. There are a lot of great writers whose works are fascinating and stunning; they are able to depict things in beautiful sentences or turn emotion into vivid words. I think literature works are where the writers show the writing skill they’ve accumulated, and these are the things we can learn by reading those works. Whenever I read a sentence I love, I will try to remember it and maybe read it for more than one time. After I memorize the sentence, I can use it in my own writing and sometimes combine two or more sentences together and create a new one. Moreover, reading can also help me construct my essay in a better, clearer way. When I am reading some short articles, I will try to find out the thesis statements and see how the authors construct their articles. I will pay attention to how the authors argue or state their opinions, and how they combine and connect their points. I think this is a really useful way to improve my writing, and it helps me a lot in college courses. I have tried my best to read every day, and I think it is a great habit that can help us learn more quickly and efficiently. The following are some books I really recommend people to read:

1. Call Me by Your Name by André Aciman

This is probably the book (among all the books I’ve read) that has the most beautiful description of love and emotion. All the struggles and conflicts in the characters’ minds are written out in the most perfect words. There are a lot of great sentences we can learn from.

2. Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl

Although it is a translated novel that was originally written in German, it still doesn’t change the value of the book. I recommend it because it is well structured and the author made a strong point by offering lots of personal experience, and I think this is what we can learn and use when writing an essay.

3. 1984 by George Orwell

This is a book that has been heard by many people so I think I don’t have to tell its importance again. I think George Orwell has a unique way of writing; his sentences are always short and to the point. So I think this is a great book for us to learn how to write in refined sentences.


Comments

Popular Posts